• What is the hidden job market?
• Using LinkedIn to help me access the hidden job market
• Using company websites/social media to help me access the hidden job market
• The importance of networking to access the hidden job market
Nearly 70% of companies hire through employee referrals. These job openings are never posted online and employers choose not to advertise them publicly. Instead, they tap employees and internal networks to fill open positions. As a job seeker, you need to find a way to break into this “hidden” job market. It is one of the most effective ways to get hired quickly, make a career transition, or land your first professional job. In this lesson, you’ll learn how to take advantage of this massive hidden job market and be the first to learn about new opportunities.
This lesson covers pages 6-7 in the Finding and Applying to Jobs Deep Dive Workbook. You can also use the Take Notes widget to complete these activities.
1. How have you currently been looking for open positions? After having watched the lesson, are there changes you’ll make to your strategy? Where will you start looking for open positions now?
2. Use networking to help you unlock the hidden job market. To start, spend some time online, finding companies that are located in your area and that hire in the career field you’re interested in. Once you’ve identified those companies, look them up on LinkedIn and then click on the “People” tab to see who works there. Look for alumni from your program or for people who studied the same subject you have. Who are some people you’d like to connect with?
3. Once you’ve identified some people you’d like to talk to, draft a connection and informational interview request you can send them, using the guidelines from this lesson. Proof it, and send it to them!
Do you have a question for the Beyond Graduate School team? Send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2023
Beyond Graduate School
Beyond Grad School is easy to navigate. Students can move between lessons, or come back to a lesson when they need to refresh their memory (e.g. preparing for an interview!).
Feature not available in Demo Site.
To encourage active learning, Beyond Grad School includes a Take Notes widget with prepopulated questions and exercises. Students type directly into the widget while watching the video, and then print or save their notes.
This feature is unavailable in the demo site.
This deep dive helps students apply for jobs in their chosen career field. Video lessons teach students how to write and modify resumes, articulate their skills and competencies in job applications, unlock the hidden job market, and demonstrate cultural fit.
Sample the curriculum available to students in Beyond Grad School by clicking on any of the blue hyperlinks. You'll navigate to the video lesson.